The 2016 US Olympic team has been selected for Rio, and this weekend the team had a mandatory outing and Nation’s Cup competition at Land Rover Great Meadow International.
The weekend was a solid success for Team USA, who took home the win over Canada and Great Britain for the Nation’s Cup.
Our Olympic team riders ran their first string horses as a mandatory outing and their reserve horses were selected for the Nation’s Cup Team and they all ran quite well.
Clark Montgomery has been based in England for the past several years, and his tactic of training abroad against international competitors has proved to be a brilliant plan of attack in terms of selection for the US Olympic team. Not only did Loughan Glen make the team for Rio, but he also ran like a beast all weekend at Great Meadow and ran away with the Nation’s Cup win as well!
The 2016 US Olympic Event Team consists of the following horse & athlete combinations:
- Phillip Dutton (West Grove, PA) and Caroline Moran, Simon Roosevelt, and Thomas Tierney’s Fernhill Cubalawn, a 2003 Holsteiner gelding
Direct Reserves: HND Group’s Mighty Nice, a 2004 Irish Sport Horse gelding & Ann Jones and Thomas Tierney’s Fernhill Fugitive, a 2005 Irish Sport Horse gelding
- Lauren Kieffer (Middleburg, VA) and Team Rebecca, LLC’s Veronica, a 2002 KWPN mare
Direct Reserve: Marie Le Menestrel’s Meadowbrook’s Scarlett, a 2007 Thoroughbred cross mare
- Boyd Martin (Cochranville, PA) and Blackfoot Mystery Syndicate, LLC’s Blackfoot Mystery, a 2004 Thoroughbred gelding
Direct Reserve: Gloria Callen’s Welcome Shadow, a 2005 Thoroughbred cross mare
- Clark Montgomery (Tetbury, England) and Holly and William Becker, Kathryn Kraft, and Jessica Montgomery’s Loughan Glen, a 2003 Irish Sport Horse gelding
- Maya Black (Clinton, Wash.) and Dawn and Jonathan Dofelmier’s Doesn’t Play Fair, a 2005 Holsteiner gelding
- Lynn Symansky and The Donner Syndicate’s Donner, a 2003 Thoroughbred gelding, is the new traveling reserve for the team, as unfortunately Doesn’t Play Fair was injured at Great Meadow
The team will compete in Rio August 5th – 9th, but before they ship out from Miami, they will be based for training camp here in Ocala at Jacqueline Mars’ beautiful Meredyth South!
Team coach David O’Conner is looking to replicate the routine of the past training camp which was held here for the Pan American team in 2011. In addition, team member Lauren Kieffer is also based out of Meredyth south during the winter months. It will be great to welcome all of the team members and Olympic team staff here to Ocala towards the end of the month. Stay tuned for more updates!